CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

changes...

We finished off "sick month", also known to the outside world as February, by saying goodbye to our friends. The evening of their move, we were able to get the one and only picture we have together, and for sensible reasons we concluded, following the agonizing 2 minutes spent trying to get six children just looking in the same direction.

This month is always a happy one in our household since it is my birthday month.
or maybe it's because of March Madness?! I decided to add more madness to the month with fierce determination (and a little budget relief) to get Elliot out of diapers by summer. So the madness began on Monday morning.
Emma was offering some great support for Bubby to be successful while he sat on the potty. He sat there for 15 minutes and got up when the oven timer started to beep. One minute later he had an accident...and it was quite distressing for him. That was the last accident of the day. Actually, he has only had 3 accidents since Monday, including nap times and night times...I'm shouting praises to Jesus for such a quick learner!
We have been enjoying watching Elliot's personality bloom...he has become much more self-confident and independent. With Emma, I had to ask her often "Do you need to go to the potty?" or make her sit down for a while with the timer set (you know, she was the type that needed a movie to watch, a book to read, her drink at her side, and my coaching. every time. ) I've stopped asking Elliot "Do you need to go potty, Elliot?" because
1. his answer is a consitent "NO WAAAY" and
2. He goes to the potty unprompted. Which means that he probably could've been out of diapers before now, right?!

Elliot executes thoroughly. His behaviors are not impulsive or random. So it should not have surprised me when he sat on the toilet to fart. Seriously. Every time he has to poot, he does it on the potty! (I'm not complaining!!)

I was wondering if Ethan would learn at the same time because he tries to do everything that the older two do...after breakfast, he went straight over to the potty and sat down on it and gave me a huge smile as if he had accomplished something big...he still had his jammy bottoms and diaper on ;) Thought it would be worth the try though, so we were all humored for a few minutes with two boys running around commando like wild little injuns. This was the last time Ethan sat on the potty (without freaking out completely.)
What kid doesn't love a gumball/candy machine? We had one growing up (which was rigged to work even without a penny). Elliot loves getting his reward treats all by himself...if only I could have captured his "accomplished expression" right after he did it! There was great rejoicing!! His success has not surprised me entirely since he is very picky about having dirt or food on his fingers, snot on his nose, lint on his clothes...I knew it would drive him crazy to "make messes" or feel uncomfortable. Emma, on the other hand. Let's just say I did a lot of poo poo laundry...while I was going through 1st trimester pregnancy with Elliot.
We are so proud of you Bubby!

(and a very special thanks to Annie, who gave me great potty training advice for boys)!!

2 comments:

Stephanie

Awesome! I am so happy he learned sooo quickly! What a blessing!

Victoria has started trying to train Kaleigh to use the potty--it's been pretty interesting around here to say the least :)

MarkandAnneB

Ohhhh. I wish I was there to praise him for his big achievement! So glad to hear he is doing great. Why is it that we can train them to go on the potty...but we can't get them to sit still and look at the camera:) haha I remember the day when I thought parents just needed to "train" better if their kiddos wouldn't obey and look at the camera. blahahahahaha